Skip to main content

KG HALLI

A couple of hours away is a place bustling with sounds.
Cramped, polluted and smelly, what is this place we have found?
People from all cultures, their apparel so unique to their ways,
This place we have come to know, is worth a visit I must say!

The dialysis center, a building bathed in peach,
Located central to the ward making it convenient to reach.
The entire ground floor is dedicated to the poor and their kidneys
For the cost for them is nil, treatment is without a fee.
Lying on the beds, the patients are bored and tire quite fast.
I can only imagine how they must feel when their four hours have gone past.
Although the patients suffer from boredom and pain thrice a week,
They smile and see the positive, I can hear it when they speak.
The spirit and attitude with which the dialysis patients live their life,
It’s truly an amazing thing, especially with all the strife!

 On the first floor amongst the crowd there are a few draped in white.
Doctors and nurses confined to their little sites.
As the patient walks through the door with a certain state of mind,
Being embraced by the doctor, they slowly start to unwind.
Having being told of a diagnosis, the patient is now at rest.
Repeat it or not, there is nothing that can be done about the test.

Devskanda and Yannick

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mask-making at School

The theatre workshop planned for Kiri on Tuesday could not happen because Saraswati, who was going to conduct it was ill. So we planned a half-day mask-making workshop using collected junk and natural material, to be followed by a film screening for the children. Angie and I were going to conduct the activities for the day. The mask making activity was something I had done in college and enjoyed tremendously, so I was very excited to do it with the kids, but of course there was no knowing how it would actually go! I started the day by showing the group photos of several different kinds of masks from different parts of the world and some junk art, just to get some juices flowing in the kids’ minds. They were quite enthralled and fascinated, and in hindsight it did feel like a useful presentation to have made. We then went out for a walk around school armed with plastic bags to collect interesting things from the roadside. Some of the children had chosen to pair up for the activity, ot...

Parent Teacher Meeting: the Aftermath

Jaidip, Parent Parents and teachers getting together to talk about a common concern: the child. At school, at home and in the wider world. The hope being that, together, one arrives at some measure of insight into the Childs life, which could help everyone. How then, should we as parents approach these meetings?   I would think that objectivity and a certain absence of identification with the child would be very important. An ability to see ‘a’child and not’My’child. We have just been to the meeting and I’m sad to say the above is much easier said than done.   I was frankly astonished at the extent of my perception of Sagar as an extension of myself. To say I preened every time I thought of an observation as ‘positive’ and was pretty downcast (or felt argumentative) when the opposite happened would not be entirely untrue. In short: Sagar was Me. Does it not then follow that I was talking about myself most of the time and not about Sagar at all?   If one says that the be...

Navadarshanam

N ow let's go there again! A great experience full of guavas! V ery tasty and delicious food! A very, very great thanks to all those of Navadarshanam. D o visit this place of greenery. A n imported apple for you, but a next-door guava for me. R ed-coloured food for you, but healthy food for I. S o please visit this place tomorrow! H appy as a visit can be! A peaceful place for doing peaceful things. N ow, how many more times are we going to come? A sorry and a thank you and a please let us visit again! M ore times we shall come whether you like it or not. Prahlad (11) In October 2008, the children stayed at Navadarshanam two days and a night every week for four consecutive weeks. Navadarshanam ("New Vision") is a small organisation operating 50km south of Bangalore that is concerned with ecological and spiritual alternatives to the modern way of living and thinking. They investigate natural farming, eco-restoration, health and food, alternative energy sources...