Skip to main content

Dhrupad singing week at school



Pelva has brought music with her to Shibumi. We are very happy to have the regular singing sessions with Pelva where she takes us through the nuances of Dhrupad.





 In the beginning I tried to understand the music. I couldn’t do this because I wasn’t able to pick out the different sounds and see that they were unique. To me they sounded pretty much like each other. I then tried to feel the music but I am afraid I didn’t feel anything. I tried keeping the beat while singing but this made me loose the tune and words. I also tried to move my hands with the music but they moved in a very odd manner which did not resemble the music in any way. So as you can see I found it very difficult to connect with the music both at the level of the mind and at deeper level. I will not give up and I shall continue to try and cross these hurdles because singing is one skill I sincerely wish to have. ~ Sagar. (Mammoth)


This type of music (Indian Classical) is generally very melodious but at times it can make your ear drums burst. The high upper ‘Sa’ is sometimes too difficult for my ear to handle. At other times when singing a certain melodious flow is felt and heard this is when I like it. Generally, singing these four days and the last time have been a new experience, not always the best but not the worst either. One thing I noticed was that the first day I sang with Pelva, there was some resistance in the singing. The next day there was still some dislike and resistance but by the last day it had almost gone. I sometimes find it boring when we do Sargam but while singing a song like ‘Tu hi’ I tend to enjoy more than otherwise. I also find that the sound of the Tanpura is nice. It is much better then the shruthi box. Also I think Pelva sings well. I don’t like it when you sing ‘Sa’ (Higher) or when anybody else sings it but otherwise the songs and your voice are nice. Thank you. ~ Dev. (Mammoth)
  
Till a few years back I did not like Indian classical music. I in fact hated it. The only songs I enjoyed were English ones which, now I feel, were noisy. Something changed all of a sudden, and I started listening to Indian classical music. The liking slowly increased and I started to listen to various numbers by various artists.

Although I used to go for singing classes my singing never got any better. Maybe if I had continued the classes it would have become better.
Now, I enjoy listening to Indian classical music to a great extent. I can now appreciate the skill behind singing. There are so many small little things which an amateur ear can not figure out which, apparently make a big difference. I do not enjoy singing much as I enjoy listening to Indian classical music.  (Name not written- pls find out- it’s the boy with specs) (Mammoth)


Firstly, I am generally not fond of singing this kind of music or it’s just that I haven’t had much experience with this kind of music. However I do like listening to Dhrupad music as it makes me very calm from inside. It just seems as if my heart has become quiet and has dropped all its worries somewhere behind.
What I have sort of found out is that Dhrupad music is actually a mythological story but has notes attached to it. I really like early morning Dhrupads as they have ‘komal’ notes which brings a different feel to the music.
Thank you for everything.

Yannick. (Mammoth)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mask-making at School

The theatre workshop planned for Kiri on Tuesday could not happen because Saraswati, who was going to conduct it was ill. So we planned a half-day mask-making workshop using collected junk and natural material, to be followed by a film screening for the children. Angie and I were going to conduct the activities for the day. The mask making activity was something I had done in college and enjoyed tremendously, so I was very excited to do it with the kids, but of course there was no knowing how it would actually go! I started the day by showing the group photos of several different kinds of masks from different parts of the world and some junk art, just to get some juices flowing in the kids’ minds. They were quite enthralled and fascinated, and in hindsight it did feel like a useful presentation to have made. We then went out for a walk around school armed with plastic bags to collect interesting things from the roadside. Some of the children had chosen to pair up for the activity, ot

Ladki pe ghoda

Mahiti (Age 8) has been facinated with horses. Wanting to draw horses, paint them, stitch them. Last year for our Poetry mela she chose a poem about how to love a horse  to illustrate and share with others. The other day , she was swinging on the tyre swing and walked up to me with a smile on her face. When she was sure I  was listening to her she shared ....  'I have an idea! I want to make a horse I can ride. See , I will explain.... --looks around... finds a cardboard box.... gets into it...-- so, I want the horse around me , so I can ride it. and we can use some boxes for the neck and head.' Our learning space for the young children is consciously stocked with a variety open-ended material. For the children to easily access, use, play and learn with. Cardboard boxes are a open-ended resource material that lends itself to versatile unstructured play/learning beautifully. It takes the children on an adventure and helps them explore the imaginary places in their

Glimpses of Shibumi

Some years ago  mature students  from Brockwood Park School had visited Shibumi and spent a lot of time engaging with the school, interacting with the students and the teachers. In their exploration of education and desire to share their insights, three young students have put together their glimpses of Shibumi. A glimpse of day at Shibumi An interview with Kabir (C0-founder) Academics - At Shibumi Conversations with Tanushree    (C0-founder)