Skip to main content


During Non-Month in school, Tanu and Sharad had planned a trip to Chennai to go on a turtle walk. We would spend one whole night on the beach. Unfortunately the trip was to happen on a weekend when I was not in school.  Later I learned that Tanu had not been able to get tickets that weekend and therefore had to postpone the trip. Though it was not in her control I thanked Tanu sincerely for not finding tickets.

Finally on the day of the trip we got into the train and ‘expressed’ our way to Chennai. I was not excited like one would expect to be but instead I was nervous. A night long walk on the beach didn’t seem very comfortable.
After a long seven hour journey the train halted in Chennai and we disembarked, much I think to everyone’s relief. We took a bus to the auto stand where some heated arguments managed to get us a ride to the beach.
Our auto driver (the one who drove me and some other students) seemed slightly drunk and also very, very hyper. He drove like some racecar and after all his stunts, landed us up at the wrong beach.
Two phone calls later we arrived at the correct location.

The gentle sea breeze embraced us and gave us a cool (instead of warm) welcome, and the sound of the waves crashing upon the shore was very comforting.     
Arun, one of the people in charge of the walk started off by giving a long but (at least to me) extremely inspiring talk. Though most of it was questions and answers, the conversation revolved around turtle conservation and global warming.  A subject which I would like to go head deep into, to protect nature and this amazing planet!
The walk started slowly but picked up pace during the process. During the walk we saw a dead eel followed by the sighting of a dead, painfully bleeding turtle. We also saw three turtle nests, the first of which had 120 eggs! Arun sadly said that only one in four eggs would hatch and only one in a thousand that did hatch would live to adulthood. A very sad phenomenon.
We ended up spotting three dead turtles (one of which I missed) and not a single live one. At the end of the walk, there was an option to walk another one kilometer to the hatchery. In the hope of seeing an egg hatch I went but sadly I did not see anything, though the walk was good.

The whole experience in general was a very teaching and inspiring one, I learned to be more sensitive (not that I wasn’t) and compassionate.
Especially toward nature.

Thank you, to Sharad and Tanu who took us there and to Arun and all the others who I didn’t get to meet or thank!


Popular posts from this blog

Turtle Walk in Chennai

When news that the olive ridley turtles had started to nest in the beaches of Chennai reached us, at the beginning of last week, we quickly put together a plan for our visit. Tickets were booked and calls were made to our friends at The School for a place to rest, Tholkappia Poonga for a visit and to our friends at SSTCN (Chennai Students’ Sea Turtle Conservation Network) for the overnight walk to watch the nesting. We set off on a Friday morning reaching Chennai by noon. After a quick lunch, we visited the Tholkappia Poonga.
Tholkappia Poonga is an ecological park in the Adyar estuary area. It is an amazing example of restoration of freshwater eco-systems in the heart of a city! We were introduced to the history, the restoration process and the flora and fauna found in the park by Mrs.Gomati. Her energy, passion for ecological restoration, and determination to carry forward the good work shone through in her interactions with us. We recommend it as a must see place for people visiti…

Colouring Book

About the illustrator:
Sidharth loves to draw. He usually likes to be on his own when he is drawing and enjoys the alone time with the paper. He captures the feelings of the creatures with his strong and confident lines.

He has put together this colouring book for his younger peers at Shibumi.

When enquiring into his love for this expression through drawing the illustrator shared ...

'Sometime ago I started to draw faces and animals. One day, I was drawing a dragon. Suddenly!! When I had finished drawing, it popped off the paper and started to attack. Quickly I drew a sword and started to attack it. Luckily I managed to defeat the dragon and went back to drawing.
Fortunately nothing else popped out of paper.

Ta-ki-ta Ta-ka-dhi-mi

The first week of July started off on a musical note with Ranjani Sivakumar, a Carnatic vocalist, spending four days at Shibumi conducting a music workshop.

The children huddled around Ranjini and enjoyed the sessions with her. She would bring our attention to listening by patiently tuning the tanpura at the start of the session. Asking the children to listen and participate by telling her if the notes of the string sounded lower or higher. This naturally lead to conversations and questions about the instrument, the tension in the string and sounds that are soothing.

For most part of the session we were learning the Sarali varisai, the fundamental sequences. This allowed us to get a feel for the melody and the rhythm. The sequences follow a logical order - ascending and descending, up to the 7th varisai. We learnt with her the first three patterns and sang them at different speeds.

She had a playful way with the younger children (Lalit and Todi groups), when understanding the ' ta…