Skip to main content

Celebrating Holi at an Art Museum


Some of us spent Holi at National Gallery of Modern Art yesterday. We had gone to see the exhibition by Balan Nambiar. The exhibition had drawings in Indian ink, charcoal, pastels and paintings in watercolour and oils. On display were also his indoor and outdoor sculptures in bronze, mild steel and stainless steel.

Being welcomed by the magnificent trees at NGMA, one was immediately touched by to a sense of quiet and beauty. Everything seemed like 'art' in this atmosphere.

Enthusiastically we wandered into the large mansion that housed the works of Balan Nambiar. The works created a pause and questions. A game started between the children to see how quickly they could find his name on the work. Then there was also reading the little label to his work and placing it in the timeline that makes most sense to them. 

'He did this before I was born!'
'I was 1 year old when he made this'
'Hey! I was born when he made this!'
'My mother was born, when he made this!'

After initially wandering through the museum and getting a feel of the work, the children scattered in the space to draw some of the work by the artist in their journals.















Looking at his art work closely, we noticed new things we hadn't noticed in our first looking.



We had had our fill and decided to go upstairs to see the regular collection. Just then, the artist walked into the space.... and there was a buzz of excitement and wonder that filled us. The artist was a real person! 


Balan Nambiar, met each of the children, autographed their journals and even looked into their journals and was delighted by their interpretations of his work.

After this unplanned and beautiful interaction we had some delicious lunch at the Cafe. Rohit, a friend arranged a most delicious meal for us. 

After lunch we made our way itno the Museum shop and a new learning moment opened up for us!
We helped the 'uncle' at the counter segregate 'visitor-buttons' and had our data on the kind of visitors that came in the month of February for the exhibition by Balan Nambiar.

                   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mask-making at School

The theatre workshop planned for Kiri on Tuesday could not happen because Saraswati, who was going to conduct it was ill. So we planned a half-day mask-making workshop using collected junk and natural material, to be followed by a film screening for the children. Angie and I were going to conduct the activities for the day. The mask making activity was something I had done in college and enjoyed tremendously, so I was very excited to do it with the kids, but of course there was no knowing how it would actually go! I started the day by showing the group photos of several different kinds of masks from different parts of the world and some junk art, just to get some juices flowing in the kids’ minds. They were quite enthralled and fascinated, and in hindsight it did feel like a useful presentation to have made. We then went out for a walk around school armed with plastic bags to collect interesting things from the roadside. Some of the children had chosen to pair up for the activity, ot...

Parent Teacher Meeting: the Aftermath

Jaidip, Parent Parents and teachers getting together to talk about a common concern: the child. At school, at home and in the wider world. The hope being that, together, one arrives at some measure of insight into the Childs life, which could help everyone. How then, should we as parents approach these meetings?   I would think that objectivity and a certain absence of identification with the child would be very important. An ability to see ‘a’child and not’My’child. We have just been to the meeting and I’m sad to say the above is much easier said than done.   I was frankly astonished at the extent of my perception of Sagar as an extension of myself. To say I preened every time I thought of an observation as ‘positive’ and was pretty downcast (or felt argumentative) when the opposite happened would not be entirely untrue. In short: Sagar was Me. Does it not then follow that I was talking about myself most of the time and not about Sagar at all?   If one says that the be...

Navadarshanam

N ow let's go there again! A great experience full of guavas! V ery tasty and delicious food! A very, very great thanks to all those of Navadarshanam. D o visit this place of greenery. A n imported apple for you, but a next-door guava for me. R ed-coloured food for you, but healthy food for I. S o please visit this place tomorrow! H appy as a visit can be! A peaceful place for doing peaceful things. N ow, how many more times are we going to come? A sorry and a thank you and a please let us visit again! M ore times we shall come whether you like it or not. Prahlad (11) In October 2008, the children stayed at Navadarshanam two days and a night every week for four consecutive weeks. Navadarshanam ("New Vision") is a small organisation operating 50km south of Bangalore that is concerned with ecological and spiritual alternatives to the modern way of living and thinking. They investigate natural farming, eco-restoration, health and food, alternative energy sources...